While performing reverse flies, it is important to remember that the muscular recruitment can be easily manipulated by alternating the position in which the arms are drawn back. If the arms are in a position that has the elbows in alignment with the shoulders, the primary emphasis will be placed on the posterior region of the shoulder. If the elbows are positioned slightly below the shoulders upon retraction, maximal emphasis will be placed on the upper back region.
- Place the appropriate hand grips on the cable attachments and select desired weight. The cable column should be slid upwards if using an adjustable version.
- Grasp the handle grips by bringing the right arm across the left side of the body and the left arm across the right side.
- Exhale and while maintaining only a slight bend at the elbows, draw the arms back in an arching motion until a contraction is felt within the rear shoulders/upper back region.
- Inhale and at a controlled speed, lower back to starting position.
- Repeat until the desired number of repetitions are completed.